Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Westworld Episode 7 random observations

A couple of things struck me as I watched Bernard's final "reveal" scene in the latest episode of Westworld.

When he's ordered to kill Theresa, he methodically takes off his sport coat.  Makes sense, you don't want to get it wrinkled.  But why take off the tie? Then he has to go through all the trouble of putting it back on.

And comes the question of methodology -- surely there are less messy ways than slamming her head against the wall.  Wouldn't a robot go with the cleanest and most efficient route?

Which brings us to -- why do Ford and Bernard turn their backs and leave her body in the corner?  Does Ford do this so often that he has a robot cleaning crew to come mop up after each one?

So I'll admit, I was surprised, though not shocked, if that makes sense.  Bernard has always been so methodical in words and actions that it was easy to see him in retrospect having been a robot all along.  I did notice at one point that his flashbacks had the same quality as those of the hosts, but I thought that was just a device to show how like them he was (exactly like them, apparently), or how much like humans they were.  I assume that his wife must be a host too, which implies she's kept at some other location just for the purpose of taking his phone calls.  Interesting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment