Monday, April 4, 2016

Welcome

Welcome to the Dark Wizards' Break room. Get yourself a cup of coffee, have a seat and kick back. This is a place where you can relax and discuss all things related to fantasy and sci-fi.  Steampunk too if you like.  

Just make sure you have your minions make a new pot of coffee if you finish the old one. Oh yeah, and any food left in the fridge longer than a week will be zapped with a disintegrate spell.  Even dark wizards have no spells to freshen up a stinky fridge.

Until next time, I'll leave you with a quote from one of the masters, Tad Williams:

"Genre just means a contract between a writer and a reader, that the writer will deliver a certain amount of expected things. In my particular genre, I can do anything I want, I can be as ambitious as I want, I can be as literary as I want, as long as every 5 or 10 pages something really horrible tries to eat my main character. I enjoy that part of it because it's almost subversive, I can write anything, I can deal with big ideas, I can try to be an ambitious writer in my prose style -- all those things as long as I also do what the reader wants. The readers are very forgiving, they are interested in experiments and ideas, as long as you remember you're writing fantasy."

No comments:

Post a Comment