Friday, April 22, 2016

Top 5 Fantasy Heroes - #1

#1 Raistlin Majere

One of the most intriguing characters in the fantasy pantheon, Raistlin was the first anti-hero I came across in the genre. He is at times hard to sympathize with, especially in the Chronicles trilogy, as he is often moody and bitter. But he does show touching glimpses of his humanity, for example when he befriends a gully dwarf, or when he shows actual concern for Crysania. He really comes into his own in the Legends trilogy, where he reaches unprecedented levels of power, but must also deal with his feelings towards his brother and Crysania. Part of what makes Raistlin so magnetic is his single-minded focus on accomplishing his goals. I'm sure that for many awkward teenagers, his appeal has to do with the mindset of "you can laugh at me now, but I'm going to be more powerful than you can imagine, and then I will have the last laugh."

No comments:

Post a Comment