Monday, April 11, 2016

A Note About Reviews

I plan to post occasional reviews about books I'm reading or have read. It will be a mix of older and newer books. You'll notice that probably all of them are positive reviews. There are a few reasons for this.  

First off, my time is limited, so if I'm not enjoying a book, I will either stop reading or start skimming, not reading carefully enough to fairly review it. 

Second, if I don't enjoy reading something, I won't enjoy writing about it. Plus there's enough negativity in the world at large, and I don't enjoy contributing to it. 

Finally, reading is such a subjective experience: the things I hate might be the exact thing another reader might love about a book, so I don't feel it's fair to trash a book just because it didn't work for me. Gravity's Rainbow would be an example of this, where even the 100 pages of it I did read were torture, but many people with much more impressive credentials assure me it's a work of genius.


In the end, I hope in my reviews to help match the book with the type of reader that might enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment