Monday, June 6, 2016

Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode 7 Broken Man Reaction

Right off the bat, I have to say I really enjoyed this episode, even though it felt like a "set-up" for future action.  But it had some great moments and the return of some favorite characters, and focused on the storylines that I'm finding most exciting, so it really delivered.

Awesomeness right of the bat from Ian McShane as Brother Ray, a stand in for Septon Merribald.  I wish he had a longer run on the show, but he shone for his brief time on it.  I didn't miss the broken man speech, I don't  think it would have added much to what was shown on the show.  I did find myself wondering what the time line was like, and how long the hound had been among these people that only now did Ray talk to him about how he was injured.  By the end of the episode, the Hound walks off again into a world of violence, but it's not clear what his motivation is or whose side he will choose.  Will his experiences lead him to become part of the Faith Militant, defending the poor by taking up arms for the church? If so we may yet see a Cleganebowl.  But you might just as easily conclude that he may conclude that the peaceful life is a pipe dream and he might as well continue as a mercenary out for himself.

I love the way the siege at Riverrun is being handled, and Clive Russell is magnificent as the Blackfish.  The conflict is being built up quite a bit, if the previews of next week's show are any indication, so I wonder if it will be resolved in the same way as in the books, or if they will make a change and make this a major set piece of the season.

Okay, Arya gets gutstabbed, and it doesn't look like a survivable injury, at least not without a modern ER.  I was surprised and for a second thought, well that's one death I didn't see coming.  But I don't really believe Arya dies at this point, with all that Faceless Man training build up.  Is it some sort of trick? Did she somehow disguise someone else as herself as a decoy? If it's her, who's going to come to her aid? Maybe the troupe of players? I'm sure we will find out soon enough. One thing's for sure -- the Waif is going to get a Neddle stuck in her before it's all done.



No comments:

Post a Comment